Welcome back to the Autumn 2017 Training Term
Some points to reiterate from the recent newsletter -
Welcome back to training, I hope you all had a good break & are ready to get stuck back into this term’s training – the schedule of training is available on the website.
Also welcome to any new parents and athletes – I have attached the welcome letter for the 2017/18 year which provides useful information on membership and related matters. I also enclose the Code of Conduct policy for athletes which is there to ensure that all athletes and coaches can enjoy & get the most out of the sessions safely & respectfully.
1) As usual at the start of a new term I remind parents that the £10 term fees are due – unless already paid in the first two weeks back. Additionally, if you have one of the new club t-shirts provided at the Pearson Cup, & have not either returned or paid for it, please could these be returned asap – cost to purchase is £10.
2) The next training session ie Monday 18th Sept, is the X-Country Grand Prix run in the grounds of Churston school. Approx distances are –
Under 10’s 1 mile
Under 11’s 1.6 miles
Under 13/15’s 1.8 miles
3) THIS IS IMPORTANT - parkrun – Under 11’s Rule.
I have been asked by the Event Director of the Torbay Velopark parkrun to remind athletes and parents that any child under 11 years old is required to have an adult running with them, within arms reach, for the duration of the course.
This is now under scrutiny, & complaints have been received that the rule is not being enforced appropriately. Park run organisers can delete the race result of the child and parent (if applicable) if found to be in breach of the rule, & even delete the runners profile if persistently breaching the rule.
Additionally, persistent abuse of the rules may lead to the National parkrun HQ organisers removing the Event & / or Run Director & worse case scenario – cancelling the Torbay Velopark parkrun.
The rule is required by England Athletics & is the only way that parkruns can be insured, therefore must be complied with.
4) Westward League X-Country – 6 events in total with 3 in Devon, at Stover, Exeter & Plymouth. The juniors website has details of last seasons events including approx distances for each age group & various rules. The dates for the Devon events are –
Stover – 8th Oct – I plan to go to this one.
Exeter – 3 Dec
Plymouth – 11 Feb – I plan to go to his one
Speak to me on a Monday evening if you want more info.
5) From October 2nd we will be in the Sports Hall. The two groups are –
6 – 7pm: Ages 8 – 10 – School years 3 to 6
7 – 8pm: Ages 10 – 16 – School years 7 to 11
However, in order to balance numbers & abilities, I will likely be asking for some in current school year 6 to join the 7 – 8pm group.
6) The weekend of Saturday 23rd & Sunday 24th September sees the Club celebrating the 20th year since it’s formation in 1997 – the amalgamation of Devonia AC & Brixham AC. The Club is taking part in a 20 hour relay marathon around Paignton Green, starting from 10pm Saturday night & finishing 6pm Sunday evening.
Juniors are welcome to take part in this event by running/walking at least one lap of the Green (1 mile) along with senior Club members who will cover the duration of the event. Why not run as parent / child combo and see who’s fastest or can keep running for the longest!
The event will also be raising money for Rowcroft.
I think that’s enough for now – but if anyone is interested in volunteering to assist coaches on a Monday night, even just occasionally, please let me know.
Vince Langdon (Coach)