Hello all parents / athletes.
Latest update / news on whats happening / coming up, and other bits.
1) The date for the Pearson Cup is now set as Sunday 1st July. For those new to the Club since September this is an annual competition between the 4 local juniors athletics clubs - Torbay, Newton Abbot, Dartmouth AC & us. It is open to under 10's, 11's & 13's. Last year SDAC had 35 juniors competing & it would be great to have those kind of numbers again. This year Torbay AC are hosting the event at their Torre Valley North ground.
2) This Monday is the 4th Grand Prix of the year - the middle distance track event, which means 600m for U10s & U11s, & 800m for U13s & above. I will then update the Club website - Junior Grand Prix 2018 page with the results of this & the preceding Sprints GP at the same time.
3) Staying on the topic of the Grand Prix competition, the next GP event after this Monday is the Coleton Footacher junior fun run at Coleton Fishacre. This is on Saturday 9th June at approx 6.45pm & will start shortly after the main seniors 10K run which starts at 6.30pm. The distance for the juniors run is approx 3/4 mile & will take place on the trail paths around Coleton Fishacre. The Clubs website can provide further details of where this is.
4) Bank Holiday Monday is 28th May & there is NO training on that evening.
5) The Juniors 2K Sunday Park Runs may hopefully be able start before we run out of Summer (!!) but still requires further funding before it can start. To that end please read the following notice -
TORBAY HALF MARATHON NEEDS MARSHALS
The Torbay Half Marathon is happy to donate £500 towards the Torbay Velopark Junior 2k Sunday parkrun if we can find 25 marshals. The date is Sunday 24th June.
If you are available and would like to help, please email Matthew Day. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please tell Matt you are a parkrunner.
Marshals will be needed at every junction between Torbay Hotel, Torquay to Esplanade Hotel, Paignton. If you have a prefer position on the course you like to marshal, please tell Matthew. There is normally 2 marshals at each junction sometime more at major junctions.
6) There is a period of approx 3 weeks from mid June to early July when one of the coaches will be unavailable. It would be very helpful if some parent assistance was available during this time to help out the other coaches during the training sessions affected by this.
7) A request, that if you are not continuing with this Club, please let me know. I have a growing waiting list, and for that reason it is only fair to those on it that they they have the opportunity to join as soon as space is available.
8) A reminder that the SDAC website - Juniors Events page shows Track and Field competitions in Devon, and information about what you need to know if you want to try this out. Under 11s do not need to be England Athletics registered to take part.
Vince Langdon (Coach)